Tully is a town on the east coast of North Queensland, located at the foothills of Mt. Tyson. Sugar cane and bananas are the dominant crops grown. Early in 1924 requests made to the Department of Public Instruction resulted in the opening of the Banyan Provisional School in June 1924. In 1925 the name was changed from Banyan to Tully State School, after the township which was named Tully in honour of past Surveyor General, William Adcock Tully.
In March 1934 approval was given for a rural school building be built and this was officially opened in March 1935. The building was deliberately burnt down in November 1935. The existing brick building was built 1938 and heritage listed in 1994.